Resolve A Conflict With Your Ex Involving Visitation With Your Children

Posted on: 1 February 2018


If your ex picked your children up for the weekend and refused to bring them home at the time that you both agreed upon and brought them home several hours late, you have every right to be upset and may even feel as if you are not going to be able to trust your ex with your kids any longer. It can be scary to contemplate not seeing your children when you expect to and can cause you undue stress and restlessness. Use the tips below to deal with the situation head on. 

Meet With An Attorney And Attend A Hearing

Contact a family attorney to discuss the issue that you encountered. If you and your ex do not have a formal custody agreement, now is the time to think about having one prepared. A custody agreement will protect your rights and will ensure that your ex abides by the details that are part of the agreement.

If you would like to have an agreement approved by a judge, an attorney will represent you and present your wishes during a court hearing. A judge will clearly specify what days of the week your ex can see the children and will ensure that both parties are aware of their responsibilities. 

Document Any Problems

Keep track of any problems you incur with your ex, including disputes over visitation times, rude comments that are made that you find threatening, and any worries you have concerning the manner in which the visitation schedule is being handled.

Jot down details in a notebook whenever you encounter an issue. Make sure to include the date and time that each problem occurred and the details that led to the altercation. This information will come in handy if you are ever taken to court by your ex or if you believe that your situation is only going to get worse and that you will be in need of legal aid in the future. 

Update Your Attorney And Revisit The Courtroom

Keep your attorney updated concerning your custody agreement and let your lawyer know about any problems that you have encountered. If your attorney believes that your rights have been violated or that your ex is attempting to hurt you by not following the custody order, they may request that you meet with them at their office to discuss details further and decide if you would like to go back to court so that you can receive help with reinforcing or modifying the custody agreement. 

Contact a law firm, like Kleveland Law, for more help.